Saturday, August 17, 2013

Watercolor realism

So I wondered what kind of limits watercolor has.  I used to think that watercolor was just for painting colorful flower or forest paintings. I never could get past that false fact till just recently.  I inherited some watercolors and watercolor paper from my grandmother Eunice Everson and my Aunt Dorothy.  I decided to give them a try.  I have been pleasantly surprised.  Some of that surprise was anyway do do the fact that I stumbled upon some different techniques to help with control.  The biggest frustration most people have with watercolor is that it can seem very hard to control the watercolor.  That is just it though....let the watercolor do what it is going to do.  Let go.  However, if you are still in need of more control try dry on dry. In other words, dry brush on dry paper.  This is how I was able to achieve the control that you see in the picture below.  It almost has a pencil drawing look. Anyway, I am thinking of entering this piece into a small works competition.  I hope it goes well.

No comments:

Subscribe Via Reader

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails